Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Planning Ahead

Okay, so with chemo treatment number four underway, one of the things that really helps me is to think of things I'll be able to do down the line that I would really like to do. It's more than just day dreaming. It's remembering that 1) the chemo will come to an end; and 2) when it's over, my quality of life should be significantly improved from when all this began last year or even 16 years ago when I was originally diagnosed. Now, let's have a little participation for this one. You see, some of the things that I'd like to do are very simple - take the family camping, go to an amusement park without mapping out every bathroom, go on a hike, etc. Although I really look forward to those things, this list is going a bit grander. Here are five things I'd like to do in the next 50 years. After you read mine, make a comment and add some that you'd like to do. The rules are simple. They have to be relatively feasible. If you say you want to walk on Mars, give your rationale as to how that will be a possibility. Have you joined the space program? Are you now a multi-billionaire and are building your own space shuttle with Lance Bass? So, here are some of mine and I look forward to hearing yours!

1) Take my family to the Home Run Derby. At some point, the All-Star game will come back to Southern California or Arizona. How fun would it be to sit in the outfield bleachers at some ball park and watch the homers fly?! I know I would love that!

2) Buy a house with a pool. I used to think this was just a waste of money - and in Kansas it would be. But here in Las Vegas, I'm starting to think the benefits outweigh the costs of having to maintain it. The kids would love it and there are some days when that is really all you can do! When it hits 120 degrees, an hour in the pool would be just right!

3) Read the biographies of all the prophets of the Church and the presidents of the United States. I did some research on this recently and it is much easier to find biographies on past presidents than on past prophets. There are some out there, but almost all are written while the prophet is still alive. I want the complete picture of their life, not just their life up to their call as prophet. Jimmy Carter is proof that much can happen as time goes on.

4) Take my family to Hawaii. Leah would like to do Christmas in Hawaii one year. How fun would that be! Of course, it will have to be when the kids are a bit older and aren't completely focused on the toys they receive, because, let's face it. If we go to Hawaii, that's the gift from us, if you know what I mean!

5) Take Leah to New York City. I loved New York when I lived there for six weeks in 1998. It was so fun - and that's when I was still sick. Think about how much more fun we could have today?! There is so much to do and see and I think Leah would love it.

Okay, so there's five of mine. I'm not saying that's the exhaustive list and, like I said before, this isn't a list of what you'd do if you won $1 Billion (David Glass would be getting a call from me, let me tell you!). Let's hear what you've got?!

8 comments:

Zimm said...

Glad to hear you're truckin' through this! I'll have to think more about my list. Maybe I'll post one myself...

Joel said...

Travel has got to be up there for me. Amelia and I are trying to figure out if we can swing a trip to Japan in March. (One of her friends is there, so we should have a place to stay.) And I'd really love to go back to England for an extended period if at all possible.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. This is interesting. I would have to say that attending the Final Four would be up there for me. How many other major sporting events are Saturday-Monday, with nothing on Sunday?

Also, Jordan and I have always dreamed of going away to London together.

Beth said...

Okay, I love this game! I am going to think it over a do a post of my own in the next day or two.

Though I promise that take Tim to London will be on the list, and I've wanted to do this for a while, but Joel and Amelia and Chris and Jordan can sure come too!

Matt said...

I know Leah's been to London and would love to go back, so you can count us in, too. Any other takers?

Christy said...

I'm also going to copy you and Beth and do a post of my own. I need to think it over for a bit, but I'll come up with something good!

mom/diane said...

I will think of some more, but I have always wanted to visit all 50 states and or all seven continents. The continents are probably not going to happen, but the states are a possibility. I just need to figure out which ones I haven't been in yet.
I have also wanted to go on a cruise with all of the adult children.

Leah said...

I have been thinking a lot about this, I would love to go to London, I would love to tour with JT (James Taylor NOT Justin Timberlake) but alas Diane you would have to drug me to get me on a cruise ship:)