Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Breaking News: Winning NOT a Crime!

Do you ever have something that you look forward to and look forward to and then, when you think there's no way it will ever happen again, it happens and you're so excited and so happy and so thrilled and you jump up and down and you hug everyone around you and then. . . you don't know what to do next? That's how I feel right now. So, if this comes across as a bit of a ramble, please remember that it has been 20 years and two days since any of my teams actually won the title. 20 years and two days. I was fourteen. I watched the '88 championship in the Schumman's basement, then rode in and on their VW bus around downtown and campus. Now I'm 34. I watched the Jayhawks cut down the nets in my brother's basement with his wife and kids. I nearly cried. Then I drove back to my in-laws house and tried to sleep. Let's just say, sleep was elusive!

The Game
Wow. I mean, holy crap! That was absolutely amazing.

At halftime, I thought, "They are playing really well. A good run in the first ten minutes of the second half and this game is over. Just absorb whatever Memphis throws and it will be fine."

Well, Memphis threw one heck of a punch. When Rose's desperation bucket that was at first ruled a three, then a two went in, I thought, "Well, that's really it. Those are the kinds of baskets that go in for teams that are meant to win."

Down 9 with 2:12 left: "It's been a great year. Nothing to be ashamed of."

CDR misses two free throws: "Interesting."

The steal and the Collins three from the corner: "Yes! Yes! Wait, not Collins! Not Collins! Yes! Yes, Collins!"

20 seconds left - the Collins drive to the basket, down 2: "Wait! Wait for the team! Play for the win! NO FOUL?????"

10 seconds left - the Rose free throws: "Just miss one. Just miss one. HE MISSED THE FIRST!"

End of regulation: "Get the ball down there. Can't take your time. No one is open. Mario's got two guys in his face. That ball could bring rain. IT WENT IN!!!! IT'S TIED! HE TIED IT." (At this point, I believe my nephew Caleb actually said he was asking for Mario Chalmers for his birthday.)

Overtimes are funny. It seems to me, 90% of the time, you can tell who is going to win in the first minute of overtime. This one was no different. KU had all the momentum. They scored the first six points. CDR his a three just before the two minute mark, but that was really the end. The Memphis players looked like zombies. The Kansas players looked like champions! It was truly awesome.

Evaluation
Two things stand out to me as I think about the game. First, Kansas WON the game just as much as Memphis LOST the game. That seems like one of those ridiculous comments that analysts make trying to fill time before your late local news. But this rings true. There is no doubt that Memphis choked the game away in the last two minutes. I mean, they were up by NINE! They missed crucial free throws. But, at the same time, Kansas made the plays to win. If Kansas can't hit the shots, then nothing else matters. But Kansas hit the shots - especially THE SHOT! Mario Chalmers may be the new Danny Manning in Lawrence, Kansas. Will he ever pay for a meal again while inside the city limits? I seriously doubt it.

Second, this game was absolutely incredible. I mean, all time great. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Kansas fan. These were two great teams that went toe to toe for 45 minutes. They played great offense and spectacular defense. They did the big things and the little things. They were awesome. The Chris Douglas-Roberts running push shot? How do you guard that? You don't even know that the ball's gone? When Derrick Rose got hot in the second half it was actually scary to be a Kansas fan. Dorsey's steal, dunk and chest bump into Cole Adrich? Juvenile, but that's his game. I kept thinking - one more push and that guy starts throwing punches! And for the Jayhawks - the back doors to Kahn, Arthur and Jackson. Arthur, all around force inside. Rush gliding to the basket. Collins bull-rushing to the basket. Mario's shot heard round the world. It was a great game. And the Jayhawks won it!

The Pool
So, I didn't do a pool and the Jayhawks won the title. Does that mean I don't ever do a pool again? Honestly, you'll have to ask me in 11 months. I don't know. I mean, I do a pool for how many years and am crushed by disappointment after disappointment. I don't do a pool in 2008 and the Jayhawks triumph. Seems pretty "1+1=2" to me.

The Okie State Thing
So, what can I even say about this? T. Boone Pickens and his semi-pro, multi-sport franchise, the Oklahoma State Cowboys are going to try and buy Bill Self. And he has the money to do it. I'm an adult. I understand that you listen to that offer. The question is, where is Self's heart. If it's in Stillwater, then he goes. If he thinks, "I've done it in Kansas, now let's see if I can do it with a program that is not one of college basketball bluebloods." Well, I guess I can accept that. It's his alma mater and we're talking in the neighborhood of $40M! But, if his heart is in Lawrence and KU makes a good, solid offer - I mean $2.5M a year, probably - then I think he stays. I just hope it's not a money grab. Don't just go for the money.

Here's what bugs me about all of this - besides the fact that T. Boone really showed his stripes by leaking this while the Jayhawks were in the middle of a title run. One of the big perks of winning or even playing for the National Championship should be the recruiting benefit in the following years. High school players saw Self and Kansas cutting down the nets. Self can go into their homes and say, "I've been there. I've done it and we can do it again." It's an invaluable tool - unless your coach leaves. In 1988, Larry Brown left for the NBA and an unknown Roy Williams stepped in - plus KU was on probation in 1989. In 2003, Roy Williams left after losing to Syracuse for the title. Self steps in - great coach but he couldn't go to recruits and say, "We just played for it all." My frustration is, if Self goes South, we miss out on that opportunity one more time. That's what really bugs me. Like I said, I'm a grown up. $40M is a lot of money. If he want's to go home to Stillwater, that's fine. I can understand listening and if KU can't counter with a really good offer, I can understand him leaving. I just wanted to be the defending champs with the defending coach. Haven't done that yet.

Okay, let me say one more thing on that. If he really loves Kansas as much as he loves Oklahoma State, I think he has to weigh a couple of things. First, what happens if winning isn't instantaneous in Stillwater. It will be harder to get big name recruits, that's now doubt. What happens in year five if he hasn't brought the title to Stillwater. Will Pickens be leaking Billy Gillespie rumors to the press? Does Pickens fire him? None of these coaches go in thinking they're going to lose, but a contract like that brings a lot of expectations. Be ready for the fall out. On the flip side, he could spend the next 15 to 20 years in Kansas, become one of the winningest coaches of all time and be a Kansas legend. I'm serious. They'd name streets after him. He can make a lot of money in Stillwater. He can make history in Lawrence.

The Aftermath
So, here we are. I can't complain anymore. One of my teams has one a championship. According to Bill Simmons, I have to allow a five year grace period before I can complain about Jayhawk basketball again. I think that's appropriate. I have to tell you, I can't stop smiling. It's awesome. I wish I could be in Lawrence for the parade. I wish I could go down to Jock's Nitch and buy a T-Shirt. I'm already looking for deals on the Sports Illustrated Commerative book about the Jayhawks. That's what I want for Father's Day! Even with the Bill Self stuff, I am absolutely thrilled. The Kansas Jayhawks are the National Champions! What a feeling. Now, someone tell the Royals and the Chiefs and the Cougars - it's okay guys. You can do it and not get in trouble! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

One Final Thing
http://cbs.sportsline.com/video/player/play/collegebasketball/lSdAFK7QnyDUCeZzO9bqV2IBf0JK9PvV

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Congrats! My husband joins you on cloud 9. Nice to see him not get his little heart broken again after consistently picking Kansas in all our family bracket pools for every year we've been married. Finally!

Joel said...

Great post, Matt. What a night. I didn't even have words last night. So good! I hope the OK State thing doesn't happen, but even if it does, this is a moment to savor.

Plus, with Roy in a jayhawk shirt and the win over NC, there's just no reason to feel anything but amazing. I was Mr. Easygoing today in class (it helped that I didn't go to bed until 1:30 in the morning).

Beth said...

I feel great. After the win, Tim did say that maybe you should not do the bracket again next year. :) But I did miss it.

I also want Mario Chalmers for my birthday. I don't even think Tim would mind.

Hey, how's the moving stuff going?