Thursday, April 17, 2008

Goodbye, Grandma

Our trip from Kansas to Las Vegas took a sad, but not entirely unexpected turn last week. The message to me, as usual, was that the Lord knows best. Early in the week, my Mom called and said that my Grandma, her Mom, wasn't doing well and may need a blessing. I said I was more than willing to go and was glad I was in Utah to help. She said she'd let me know and that they may wait until Friday when she and my Dad were set to arrive. Grandma had been struggling with dementia for some time and had slipped into a slight coma. The doctors had thought she might make it a few more weeks, but she had taken a turn for the worse.

On Wednesday, Mom called and said she needed me and my brother to head over and administer the blessing. Of course, we agreed and headed north. When we got there, my aunt and her two daughters - Shauna and Christy - were there. Chris gave a wonderful blessing. After the blessing, we were able to sit with the family for several hours and just talk about Grandma. It was really a wonderful evening. I am so happy that I was able to be there in Utah at the time. If we'd already moved to Las Vegas, that wouldn't have been possible. For that, and many other reasons involving this move, I've realized that the Lord just knows what's right. I firmly believe I needed to be available over these last few days.

Grandma passed away about 10:30 the next morning. Sandy and her daughters were there, as well as Shelly, one of Frankie and Sandi Jo's kids - who was also Grandma's home hospice nurse. I picked Mom up at the airport that morning and we arrived at about 11:00. Again, I am grateful to have been available to be there for my Mom and my extended family. I truly wouldn't have been anywhere else at that time.

Dad arrived on Friday and the viewing was held Sunday with the funeral on Wednesday. I spent much of those two days with brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins that I hadn't seen in many years. The passing of my Grandma did one of the things Grandma loved the most - brought the family together. We talked about our memories of visiting with Grandma, about what she liked and didn't like, about her life and her legacy. We caught up on our lives and where we were headed and how many kids we had and what we were going to do next. We cried some and laughed a lot. To me, the weekend was about what all funerals should be about - the love of family and the promise of reunion. That's such an integral part of the Gospel - that we will be together again.

The day after the funeral, we left for Las Vegas. We're here now. We're in the house we are renting. The kids are thrilled. Leah and I are thrilled. There is so much to experience and so much to do. The Lord wanted us to take a little time to get here. It's been a heck of a four weeks, but those are stories for another day. His plan is just better than my plan.

I know it sounds cliche, but Grandma is in a better place, now. She's in a place where she isn't restricted by a body that was breaking down. She can share her thoughts and feelings. She can talk with loved ones that she hasn't seen in decades. She can reflect on her own life and the legacy she left behind. For the past few years, none of those things have been possible. I love my Grandma very much. I will miss her in this life, but I look forward to our promised reunion, as well. I hope she has the fudge-stripe cookies!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for that, Matteo. I'm glad you were around, too.

We need pictures of your house and Las Vegas on here or Leah's blog.

Marissa said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. It's never easy to say goodbye to someone you love so much, even with the eternal perspective that you will eventually see her again. Best wishes to you and your family at this time.