Thursday, October 09, 2008

Just So You Know. . .

Yes, the chemo doctor saw his shadow and ordered three more rounds of chemo. That wasn't that unexpected for us - we kind of thought we were heading down that path going in. The hard part was that he totally set us up at the beginning of the conversation by telling us that there are no studies that prove 12 rounds is better than 9. Leah and I both thought he was going to say, "So, let's just stop here and set up your check-up schedule." But, instead he said, "But there is another drug that we can use to replace the one with which you're having problems. So, we'll do the final three treatments using that drug." Disappointment.

And, as an added bonus, the new drug creates more nausea/diarrhea issues - FUN! Plus, the side-effects paper I have to sign before they give me anything new states that most patients lose their hair after a few days on this drug. I've kept the glorious Karpowitz head of hair through nine treatments - but there's a good chance I'll wake up tomorrow with much of it staying on the pillow. So, if you have any great products you use to get a nice, shiny pate, let me know! (Josh, Joel, Chris, Jeff, I'm looking at you!) I wonder if I have any strange bumps on my scalp. I hope not!

Anyways, that's about it. I'll do my usual post tomorrow after I get the pump out, but wanted all to know that my last two treatments are October 22nd and November 5th, with the pump coming off for the final time on November 7th. We can hardly wait!

5 comments:

Joel said...

Bald is Beautiful! (And the shine comes naturally for me. I have a great head, if not a great head of hair.)

Sorry about the three more rounds, but at this point you're so close to finished! We'll be praying for you!

Matt said...

Thanks, Cap'n. I'm just afraid I'm going to have crazy bumps on my head like Shane Battier.

You can kind of see how bumpy it is in this picture - but it looks way different on TV.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3516/

Anonymous said...

Well, I was hoping for a different outcome here, too, but let me second Joel's comment -- bald is beautiful, and a few bumps just add distinction. Plus, I'm quite confident you don't have a Battier head.

Love,
Chris

Beth said...

Less than a month! You can do it!

mom/diane said...

Just remember-hair grows back. It will be better than ever. And who knows, you may not lose it at all!