Monday, October 27, 2008

11/12, 91.7% Complete

I can't believe I only have one more treatment left. In retrospect, it has actually gone by rather quickly, for which I am extremely grateful.

I'm sorry I've not written on Friday or Saturday the past two treatments. My only explanation is that, with the new medication, I am MUCH more tired after the treatment. I took naps Thursday and Friday and still went to bed at about 10:00. That's very rare for me - I'm a bit more of a night owl than Leah.

Anyway, except for the exhaustion, I managed this one all right. It does make me a bit sick on Wednesday and I've found I'm much more out of it on Wednesday - Friday than with the other medication, which really effected me on Friday-Saturday. We actually had a fairly active Saturday, though I did lie down in the afternoon for a bit - but that may have been depression over the rear-end kicking Texas Tech gave the Jayhawks. We went to the pumpkin patch with some friends and got through a few more boxes in the garage (We're almost there!) I went home teaching on Sunday and felt fine, so it looks like the feeling fine by Sunday morning routine might just hold up. That is amazing. We have been truly blessed through this trial. I don't wish it on anyone, but, frankly, I don't wish for anyone else's trials, either.

Oh, and one more thing - the hair remains! I'm guessing that it will all fall out right after the final treatment. We'll see.

Seriously, when this whole cancer thing is done, I'm going to try and get back to posting things that are of greater interest - perhaps continue my sports rants, maybe a little politics to counteract my ultra-liberal brother, maybe more on our daily lives and the joy of working in the business world. By the way, my company announced it is merging with Century Telephone today and that the headquarters is moving to Monroe, Louisiana. As much as I love my parents and living close to them in KC, I am really glad we took a job in a field office. I know, Beth and Tim, we'd be within a days drive, but I have no desire to ever move my family to Louisiana. We won't really know how it will effect us until sometime in 2009, but it seems things like this always happen in October in this business - end of the year - planning the new year's budget. All that fun stuff is simply up in the air.

Anyway, those posts will come later. For now, we're down to one treatment left. Good times. You are all invited to our "Chemo is Over" Party in November. I checked and Target does not have a Chemo is Over Registry. I thought that would have been funny to register for things like grapes and apples - things that I haven't been able to eat without cooking them while on chemo. (Believe me, I'd rather go without than eat cooked grapes.) I guess I can only hope that the Sci-Fi channel is showing Leprechaun 2 when I get home from chemo next week. Watching the first one while talking to Joel only left me thirsting for more. Remember, the only way to kill a Leprechaun is to put a four-leaf clover on him and set him on fire. Also, in movies, gasoline doesn't just ignite, it explodes. Good stuff.

6 comments:

Joel said...

In my defense, I think all my political posts were very understated. But what I am is what I am! Perhaps it takes an ultra-liberal brother to find the true genius of Leprachaun!

Truthfully, I'm proud of you! Almost done with those treatments!

Zimm said...

Pssst...Matt...I'm a little worried about your brother. He's been hanging out with Bill Ayers. I think we should have an intervention.

I'm glad to hear you're almost through this, though. Way to go!

mom/diane said...

Way to go. I definitely think there should be a chemo is over registry somewhere out there. I am happy that you are not moving to Louisiana too, although we had a great time in Texas.

Beth said...

Don't worry, no one should move to Louisiana. Your kids would probably get dumber and Leah can't be taken away from that dry weather yet. :)

I'm glad you're so close to done!

Leah said...

Nice call, Zimm. I've been waiting for weeks to throw this one out there - his love for Barrack has become an Obamination! Thanks! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses!

Sarah said...

Nice one Leah! We both laughed. Matt, we're so glad you're almost done. I've been thinking of sending you a balloon bouquet when you're done. But maybe a grape and apple bouquet would be more appropriate.

By the way....if you move to Louisiana you will be dead to me. I'd like to say I'm joking, but I'm not. Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!! PAAARRRRTY!!!!!!!