Friday, August 15, 2008

6/12 = 1/2, 50% Complete!

Halfway done! Yeah!!!!

I just got back from getting the pump removed and we are officially halfway done with the chemo. I am thrilled. Except for the fact that each treatment is more exhausting than the one before, I can now say that I'm on the homestretch, the back nine, the third quarter or whatever sports metaphor you want to use. That makes me really happy.

This was an interesting round. For the first time, the doctor decided to give me the red blood cell shot that is supposed to increase red blood cell production in the bone marrow. I was excited based on the apparently false assumption that more red blood cells equals more energy. So, as with any new medication, they have me sign the form saying I'm agreeing to get the shot and listing all the potential side-effects. The most common side-effect? You guessed it - fatigue. And they weren't lying. I've been exhausted for the past few days. I got the white blood cell booster today again, which means body aches for the next couple of days, but oh, well.

I've also had some heart palpitations this week, so it looks like I'm going to go into the cardiologist in the next few days to see what that's all about. Nothing terribly painful, but last Saturday, my heart just started beating really fast. It happened in the hospital after the blood clots, too, but they attributed it to the clots. It's happened twice now since leaving the hospital and so we just want to make sure we're not missing something. Blood clots should not be a big concern right now because of the Coumaden - I think I spell that differently every time - but it should be keeping my blood relatively thin, so who knows. I'll keep you up to date.

One very strange side-effect popped up this week. I've had numbness in my fingers, toes and mouth with each treatment. This time, the mouth numbness really effected my tongue. On Wednesday night, I was reading Happy Potter and the Goblet of Fire to the kids and all of a sudden, I developed a lisp. It was like I couldn't get my tongue to go where it was supposed to go. It was very strange. The kids thought it was hilarious. They laughed and laughed. I think my tongue was just tired because it went away after I stopped reading and got some rest. I just hope it doesn't happen at work on an important conference call or something. Oh, well. What can you do!?

Anyway, I'm feeling tired and will spend the next few days resting up. But, now that we're on the second half, we can start planning the done with chemo party for November! You're all invited! I can't wait - I can actually have ice-cold drinks for Thanksgiving! Should be fun. Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. I really couldn't make it with out them and you need to know that I feel that strength in my life. Prayer really does work. Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Beth said...

Halfway! You're awesome! I've been wanting to know, is your hair falling out or not really? I know you cut it short, but I know at first it was trying to stay put. All the Karpowitz men have to be bald at some point, right?

Matt said...

So far, my hair has stayed pretty normal. I cut it really short, so that hides it a bit, but I'm not noticing it on my pillow or anything. Keep your fingers crossed!

Joel said...

Happy Potter? Is that the Chinese knock-off? :)

Way to go on halfway! Now you're on the downhill side, right? That's great! I wish we could come to Vegas to celebrate with you. Maybe we'll celebrate your one-year chemo-free anniversary or something. Right?

Stay strong, Matt. You're awesome.

mom/diane said...

Hooray!!!! I have been waiting for the half way point. It is an awesome mark. Keep us informed about what the cardialogist says. Do you have your appointment yet? Remember I will be there in a week.

Leah said...

Happy Potter, chinese knock off Joel you kill me. Yeah, we made it halfway. The next 6 will go fast.

Matt said...

Happy Potter - the story of a boy with no magical powers whose parents are not killed and who lives an absolutely normal and content childhood, going to a public school in the middle of London and making As and Bs in order to graduate on time.

TulsaT said...

Matt,

I was just reading Leah's blog and thought I would check out yours. I am glad we are still in the same ward, for however much longer cause I think your family is wonderful!

Matt said...

Tessie,

We feel the same about your family. Go Carnagie Ward!