Thursday, August 14, 2008

10 Years in the Books!


It's hard to believe, but 10 years ago today, Leah and I were married in the Oakland Temple, or, according to Leah, the True Temple. It's remarkable to me how much we've grown in that time. Leah has taught me so much and has constantly been there for me. I don't know that I can truly express how very much I love her. She is my best friend - the one I look forward to seeing most, whether at the end of my work day, after two weeks away in Utah or just after an errand. She is the greatest and here are just a few of the reasons why.

1) I love that Leah has a great love for music. And, I'm talking about more than just her crush on JT, the only man for whom I fear she would leave me - if only just to travel with him as a roadie for a year.

She knows so much about music - especially from about 1970 to 1998. She grew up with music as a big part of her home life due to her father's love for music. She likes to tease me about how much more she knows about music by playing the "Name the Artist" game when listening to the radio. The only way I ever have a chance is to start playing before she knows we are playing so I at least get the first point. For our anniversary, we went to see The Steve Miller Band. (Yes, it was AWESOME even though we had to leave before they played The Joker!) It was so fun to see how excited Leah was. We'll be going to concerts more often simply because I saw how happy that makes her. But that's not all, I'm assuming our bishop doesn't read this blog, so I've got to tell you that Leah is a very good pianist. I bought her a hymn book for Mother's Day and I love to listen to her play. She's really very good, but she doesn't like to play with people singing along. Leah always makes sure music has a place in our home.

2) Leah is a financial genius. She has been in charge, for the last few years, of our checkbook and bill paying. In that time, we are completely out of consumer debt - with a few lingering medical bills from our exciting 2008, our student loans and the van as the only real debt we have right now. I can't express how grateful I am to her for her willingness to take on those responsibilities. About once a month, she'll give me a couple of bills that I am in charge of "calling on" to make sure the balance is correct. Let me tell you, that's a small price to pay for her being willing to do so much for our finances. She told me her next project is our retirement accounts. I can't wait! At this rate, I should be able to retire in another ten years, right?!

3) I love Leah's loyalty. She is fiercely loyal to those she loves and/or respects. He strongest loyalties lie with our family. She would do anything for them, and often does. She's never looking for recognition, she just loves them so much, be it our own kids, which are obviously number one, or her side of the family or even my side of the family. She cares so much about each of you and it is reflected in her thoughts, prayers and actions.

4) Leah loves the Gospel of Jesus Christ and has a very strong testimony. I'll never forget when we were dating, she really called me on the carpet about R-rated movies, movies that I was willing to see because of rationalizations like better story lines and more A-list actors and directors. She simply said, "The prophet has said don't see them. That's good enough for me." Shortly after we were married, I got rid of all of my old R-rated movies on VHS and I can honestly say I haven't seen one in probably 8 years. She is dedicated to doing exactly what the Brethren say and her testimony of modern prophets is a great example to me. She chooses to choose the right every day. I love that about her.

5) Leah loves the 4th of July. Her favorite holidays include the 4th and Halloween in front of some of the biggies. How awesome is that! Leah is always looking for 4th of July parades and fireworks shows for us to take the kids to. She is so fun. This is a picture of her with the kids at the Salazar's 4th of July party in 2007. She was happy as could be, surrounded by friends and family. It was a really fun night and Leah is a big part of why.

6) Leah is an amazing friend. I've already said that she is easily my best friend, but she is such a good friend to others. It is important to her to have good friends that she can talk to and laugh with. That was a big concern when we left the Ottawa Ward - leaving behind those valued friendships. She reads the blogs of those friends and has found friends from college and high school as well. She is sincerely interested in the happiness of others. She calls it blog-stalking, but I think a big part of it is knowing that her friends are happy. I can't tell you how much she's wanted to be back in Kansas to hold all those new babies coming to that ward. She's making friends here in Henderson and that's fun for me to see. She is a great friend to have.

7) I don't want to brag, but Leah is drop-dead gorgeous. I'm just saying. . . I know looks aren't everything in a person, but she's got me wrapped around her little finger - unless I'm already in bed and she wants a pop. Leah is not a vain woman, but she has spent the last 11 years that I've known her searching for the perfect short haircut. I love her current one. . . she's not convinced. She's still beautiful.


8) And speaking of pop, Leah loves the stuff. She loves it! She would drink it for every meal, if possible. If she could have a food storage room full of pop, she'd do it. I'm always impressed at Costco that she doesn't buy the flats of pop, even though I know she'd like to. Maybe when we have a bigger house. . .

9) Leah accepts and supports me no matter what. This last year has not been easy. . . with the move and the surgery and now the chemotherapy. I've put her through a lot of stress, but she stands by me and I couldn't have done any of these things without her. It breaks my heart when she cries and I know my health problems have caused plenty of tears these past few months. I'm so grateful that things are getting better now, but I'm even more grateful for our temple relationship that tells me we will be together forever. What a blessing it is to know that my best friend and the person I love the most will be by me forever. Talk about motivation to stay on the straight and narrow! I don't know what I'd do without her.



10) Last, but certainly not least, I love the fact that Leah loves being a mother. She is an amazing mother. The love that she has for our three kids is truly inspiring. She is protective and concerned - starting a new school has been torture for Leah, more than anyone. She wants so much for them to be happy and responsible and good. And they are. That's the thing to me that speaks so highly of her abilities and dedication as Mom. Our kids love her right back. They reach out to her with full faith that she will be there to catch them. They are well behaved. . . because of Leah. They love to read. . . because of Leah. They try and choose the right. . . because of Leah. She is the best. She is inspiring.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, LEAH! I LOVE YOU.

6 comments:

Leah said...

Sheesh, that was nice of you. Happy Anniversary!

Beth said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you chose her!

Tim also believes that pop is food storage.

Joel said...

Happy Anniversary guys! You two make a good team.

mom/diane said...

Thanks for the wonderful blogspot. You two are great together.

Amelia said...

I love you guys! Happy Anniversary!

Karen S said...

I always read Leah's blog, but now I've found yours. That was very sweet. Congratulations.