Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Nearly Reunited, But I Don't Feel So Good!

I miss my parents and my brothers and sisters. This weekend was suppossed to be our big family reunion - we haven't all been together in ages. Many, if not all, of my siblings are there in Kansas right now, or will be in the next day or so. We are not. Instead, I am taking a chemo treatment for another 18 hours or so and generally feeling pretty low. So, as a way of making myself feel better, I'm going to say what I love about each of their families. I'll add pictures where I can.

Beth and Tim:

These two are a riot. I would love to be able to go visit them in Houston - if it weren't for the fact that we used to live in Texas and I think I'd have to drug Leah on sedatives to get her back across the border. I love that Beth and Tim are rabid Jayhawk fans and that Beth used to sneak into KU basketball games under a borrowed student ID that looked nothing like her. She did get caught once and had to leave. Tim went to the game anyway because it was on ESPN and Dick Vitale was there. Good times. Here's a picture I stole from Beth's blog:

Joel and Amelia:

This two are incredible. They live in Georgia, and we've not been to visit them either. Again, a trip we would really like to take, especially when I'm feeling better. Joel and Amelia have known each other for most of their lives. When they started dating, we all cheered. Then they went to college and missions and everything and still ended up together. What an awesome story. I love the fact that they love to watch movies and play video games and do fun things. They are both really fun to talk to and visit with. Plus, they are able to navigate the trecherous waters of both sets of parents living in the same city. That is a true accomplishment. Here's a picture of them of Joel and Amelia that I stole from Amelia's blog:

Jenni, Josh and Family:

We've lived near Jenni and Josh a couple of times, once even when they were in our ward. They are so fun. I know they are stressed right now with Parker and the twins. Believe me, we've been through that! They are so fun to be around. We used to love to have them over for games. Our favorite story is from a game of Outburst where Josh was basically just repeating everything Jenni said. Jennie got so frustrated, she made Josh go start the car. Good times. I hope to live near them again soon - if Leah would just win that $10 Million so we could buy the compound and have everyone move close by! I couldn't find a good picture of Jenni and Josh, so you'll have to settle for Parker, Wyatt and Brynly.

Wendy, Jeff and Family:
When Leah and I first moved to Kansas, Wendy and her family were living there. It was so fun to see them regularly before they moved off to Ohio. We miss them so much. Wendy is so strong and good and she has always been just what I needed in a big sister. I love Wendy's ability to tell stories and her love for her family. I loved watching Chiefs' games with Jeff and his love of the Jayhawks. I miss hanging out with Mason and Nick and Trenton - and Trenton beating me at basketball. We love the Stalcups. Here's a picture of Wendy from earlier this year.


Chris, Jordan and Family:

We're now living closer than we ever have to Chris and Jordan - just five hours up the road. That is really fun for us. Chris was so kind to come to Las Vegas when I was in the hospital. I can't imagine how bored he must have been, just sitting there as I drifted in and out of sleep. What a great brother. He stayed until Jordan got sick back in Provo, which is more than I could have asked. Their family is so fun. I loved watching the National Championship with Caleb, Quinn and Cami. Baby Zach is just a ball of fun. Here are Chris and Jordan from the luncheon after Grandma's funeral. Sorry, couldn't find pictures of the kids!


Mom and Dad:

What can I say about my parents. They have been so supportive of me over the last few months - from dramatic weight loss to blood transfusions to emergecy surgery and cancer - I think my relationship with them has grown and deepened so very much. They have helped me more than they can know. I really miss them and I wish we could be there with them this weekend - we had great plans for the Karpowitz family scavenger hunt! But, we'll have that reunion soon, I'm sure of it. Here is Dad from after the funeral and Mom when she came out to Las Vegas. I love you guys!

Now, before you think I've just been sitting around and feeling sorry for myself, you need to know that I have the greatest wife and kids in the world. They have been so great these past few months. The kids are so funny. They put up with forehead kisses and awkward hugs when the chemo is going on. They come to see me when I'm feeling low and they help me want to get up and out of bed. Leah is the best. You can't even imagine how hard she's worked these past few months. She is truly my best friend - the person I most wish to wake up next to, to talk to throughout the day, to fall asleep beside. She is really my best friend. Plus, after November, I'll get to do the things she's been asking me about for years - hiking and camping, having people over and going out. This experience has changed and is changing our lives, but I am so happy that it is changing us together. I love you all!

7 comments:

Joel said...

Great post! We miss you and wish you all were here. Time to buy that compound!

Leah said...

We had big fun plans for that reunion, when can we have another one?

Leah said...

That was a sweet post now I feel kinda bab about not making you breakfast in bed.

Matt said...

Nah, it's better if I get up. Plus, Kate made me some toast.

Beth said...

Hey, that made me cry, darn you! We miss you guys a lot and wish you were here. Love ya!

Amelia said...

We miss you too! Everyone talks about you all the time, and we wish we could be there or you could be here. Someday we'll have the Official Karpowitz Family Reunion. We love you!

mom/diane said...

It was hard for me to read but I really appreciate your thoughtful post. More pictures on the way to you and the family.