Friday, June 20, 2008

2/12 = 1/6, 16.7% Complete

Well, with two treatments down and ten to go, I felt like I was less apprehensive this time around. I had a better idea of what was going to happen, so I was more prepared for what did happen, if that makes sense. I seemed to be less sick, but more tired. Now, with a few days of recovery in front of me, I can also expect some nausea and continued exhaustion over the next few days, but I should be ready for work by Monday. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Let's see, the rest of the updates are pretty simple. First, the PET Scan results were very good. They showed some inflammation in my abdomen, but that is normal since I'm still recovering from the surgery. The scan can't tell the difference between that kind of inflammation and cancer, but even if there were more cancer in that area, the treatment would be chemotherapy. And since that's what we're doing anyway, the doctor wasn't too worried. I'll have another PET Scan at the end of the chemo and that should be more definitive.

We're still working on regulating my blood's clotting. That's from the clots I had in my lungs last month. We had it under control, but then I had to go on some different medications so they could put the port in my chest for the chemotherapy. One of the drugs was an injectible called Lovonox, which left me with bruises all over my stomach and thighs. These bruises were nasty - really purple and black - so bad I wouldn't even let Leah take pictures of them. Oh, the vanity! Well, my blood had been to thick, but now it's too thin, so I have stopped the injectible and they are trying to use the Coumaden to get it right. Coumaden, by they way, is the same thing they put in rat poison. Oh, the fun things you learn with health problems. Anyway, by blood is still on the thin side - no shaving with a blade - but it's better than it was. All it really means is that a couple of times a week I go back into the cancer center for them to test it. You want the PT/INR level to be between 2 and 3. Mine was below 2 when the clots started. It was 4.5 on Wednesday and 4.0 today. Once we get it back to the right level, I should be able to maintain it with medication throughout the chemo.

As for other side-effects, I haven't lost my hair, though we did cut it really short. See Leah's blog for before and after shots when she gets them posted. I still have the cold sensitivity in my mouth, which is a real pain. It was 115 degrees at 11 am today and I can't drink anything above room temperature. That's a bit inconvenient. Warm Gatorade and water all around! Other than that, I'm just really tired. I'm ready for the recovery process to pick up, but I probably won't start feeling a lot better until Sunday or so.

I've appreciated all the thoughts and prayers sent our way. It's been so nice to know that you are thinking of us. That helps a lot. I'm trying to focus on a more positive outlook - you know 10 treatments left is better than 12! Like all trials, this one also will "come to pass". More health updates as they become available. Now it's time for a nap!

3 comments:

Joel said...

Glad to hear things are progressing according to plan, though still no fun. Nap well, my friend.

mom/diane said...

You are in the double digits for treatment percentage...way to go. We are praying that you will recover quickly from round #2. Hang in there.

Ryan and Maria said...

hopefully things are on the upswing. We're thinking about you. The Royals say "Hi!" Really! I heard them. They said oh HI Ryan tell Matt "HI!" I said okay. We pray things get better for you guys. You're great examples to us!

Beasleys.