Thursday, January 31, 2008

When Bad Things Happen to Good Teams

Let me be honest. I would have been really happy if the Kansas Jayhawks had made history and run the table this year, marching their way to the National Championship without dropping a game. That would have been really fun. But, in my heart, I knew that wasn't likely and I was even in the camp that felt it might be okay to lose sometime during the Big 12 season just to take the undefeated pressure off. Unfortunately, I forgot to put in the exception - that loss should in no way come to the Missouri Tigers or the Kansas State Wildcats. A loss to Iowa State or Texas A&M? No big deal. Just don't fall to the hated Tigers or 'Cats.

Well, the Crimson and Blue took care of business in Columbia. Last night came the showdown in Manhatten, where the Jayhawks hadn't lost since 1983! Read that again. The Jayhawks hadn't lost on the K-State home floor in 24 seasons. No player in the game last night was alive the last time a Jayhawk team walked into Manhatten and lost. (Yes, that just makes me and you feel old. I know.) So, I had some confidence heading into last night's game. Sure, the upstart Wildcats had the best player in the country in Michael Beasley. But karma wouldn't let these guys actually win, right? I mean, the only reason Beasley came to K-State was because Huggy-bear hired the phenom's AAU coach as an assistant and the coach stayed on the staff after Huggins bolted for WVU. That kind of crap doesn't get rewarded, right? You see, that was my downfall. That kind of crap DOES get rewarded. Larry Brown hires Ed Manning as an assistant. Danny Manning picks Kansas over UNC. Kansas wins 1988 National Championship.

Last night, the basketball gods paid the Jayhawks back as the team of experienced guards looked rattled the entire game, Brandon Rush scored his first 2nd-Half points with less than four minutes left and Russell Robinson fouled out not once, but twice! That's right, the streak is over. The Jayhawks are no longer undefeated. The card board cut out known as K-State coach Frank Martin has his first "signature win". Whatever that means.

So, where do we go from here? Well, fortunately, the 'Cats still have to come to Lawrence later this season. I'm counting on redemption in that game. And I still firmly believe this Kansas team is the best team in the entire nation, despite Memphis' undefeated season. (Come on. Conference USA?) But, now they look a little more faliable then before. It's like when Lex Luthor finds out about kryptonite. The mighty can be beaten. And that's what will be harder going forward. The blueprint for failure has been officially published. Granted, no other team has Beasley. And KU doesn't have to play a road game during the tournament. But, they aren't perfect. That's what really stinks.

4 comments:

Joel said...

Hey, I like this frequent posting thing you do. You're a good writer. Keep it up.

2 comments leftover from the last post that I figured no one would read if I posted in the appropriate slot:

1) Who writes the Daily Shiv and why don't they write more (hilarious!)

2) I wish I could blame my being fat on drugs. Lucky jerk.

And a comment on this post for good measure: What is the best site for Jayhawks coverage for someone who can't see that many games on national coverage (I'm talking about me)?

Matt said...

Hey, thanks buddy. It is a stress release for me, and I really need that lately.

1) Leah's brother, Andy. The guy is a riot. I, too, wish he would post more often.

2) It makes me nervous.

As for the Jayhawks, I use the National sites (CNN, ESPN, CBSSportsline), the Journal World (www2.ljworld.com), KU Sports (www.kusports.com) and KU Athletics (kuathletics.cstv.com). I try and stay away from message boards. They are too reactionary for me.

Not-so-tiny Tim said...

I also thought it stunk to find out I wasn't perfect...oh, and the jayhawks' loss sucks too.

Joel, now that i too am outside the "jayhawk television broadcast area," i've discovered some streaming radio sites where i can listen to Bob Davis' radio broadcasts of the games. I also frequent kusport.com for the inside scoop into all things crimson & blue.

Matt said...

Tim, I'm going to need those radio broadcast sites soon, too. Please send those on to me!