Friday, November 07, 2008

12.12 = 100%, WE'RE DONE WITH CHEMO!

I can't believe it's finally over. Chemo is complete. I'm bald, but that's okay. It's done! Yeah!

Truly, I can't tell you how much we've relied on the prayers and support of those of you who have seen us through this challenge. Leah and I feel very strongly that one of the reasons we needed to be in Las Vegas was to experience this trial. I don't know why, but I do know this is where the Lord wanted us. Are we done with trials? Of course not. Just see the kid flying around the neighborhood on crutches! However, the chemo part of this process is over and I am so grateful.

We know that with cancer there is just no guarantee - though I AM guaranteed never to get colon cancer again! All signs right now point to a healthy future. I will continue with regular scans and checks. In about six months, they can remove the port from my chest, but they want it in for a while as a precaution. We've learned so much in this process. We've learned that we have the greatest support group of family and friends you can imagine, both here, in Kansas, in Utah and throughout points across the United States. You've all been awesome. We've learned that good insurance is nothing to scoff at. Our insurance is going up in 2009 to the point that we would have been paying a huge amount off if this had happened next year, even at 10% after the deductible. We've learned to cherish our family and especially our children. We've read more from the scriptures and the brethren and watched fewer movies than we expected. We've realized the importance of both giving and receiving service. I can honestly say that I think we're stronger because of this experience. That's amazing to me.

We'll be having a chemo is over party here and perhaps a second one in Utah. We love you all so much. Thank you for your support and smile a smile for us tonight - CHEMO IS OVER!

9 comments:

Beth said...

WOO! You're awesome and so is your family. Hopefully we'll get to see you some time in the near future!

Sarah said...

HOORAY!!!

Leah said...

Good times, it's O-V-E-R!!! You did great honey now it's time to party (as long as the party is over by 8 pm, I've gotten very used to early bedtime.)

Joel said...

Hooray! We're so glad. Of course, you'll STILL be in our prayers, but I'm glad it won't be for that anymore!

Joel said...

Um, not because we didn't like praying for you. If that's what it sounded like that. Just that we're glad that trial is over.

Not-so-tiny Tim said...

but chemo was gonna be so huge in '09...

Marissa said...

Very happy for you! Enjoy your well-earned party.

mom/diane said...

Great post. It is true that we learn much through trials and become stronger. We are proud of your perserverance through this lengthy process. You are awesome!

garbage goat said...

This hereby authorizes you to ref the Turkey Bowl, and I hereby officially dedicate my team's performance in the Turkey Bowl to Matt and his family. Fax will have to find someone else to dedicate his team's performance to...maybe someone like Son of Sam, or former-CIA-agent-turned-traitor Robert Hanssen