Friday, June 06, 2008

1/12 of the Way - 8.3% Complete

Okay, I've completed the first round of chemotherapy and I can honestly say. . . pretty crappy! I went in on Wednesday and got hooked up to the chemo machine. Good times - six hours in the doctor's office. When I finished there, I got hooked up to the chemo pump and got to wear that for the next 46 hours. I can tell you, it pretty much sucked the energy out of me. One weird side-effect - cold drinks burn my mouth. I'm hoping that goes away while I'm not actually on the chemo. Anyway, I went in today and got the pump removed and they gave me a shot to build my white blood cell count. Probable side-effect - achenes. Another fun one!

On the whole, I'm looking forward to spending the next 11 days getting my strength back before I go back in. I had some nausea with the first round, but apparently things were a lot more mild than they could have been. I'm not sure if that makes me happy or sad!

I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself today. I need to snap out of that. Things are going fine and, once the chemo is over, I should be able to get back to normal. That will be awesome.

Other things are going well. The kids are out of school for the summer. Leah is working hard to keep them busy. She's trying something new with their chores. She writes the chore lists for them at night and they can see them first thing in the morning. The rule is, once your chores are done, the day is yours. Kate and Emma have gotten right up each day and gotten things done. Ryne was a bit slower to motivate today, but he'll get it.

Other than that, things are pretty quiet around here. Leah has been awesome. She is so much stronger than me. She is truly a blessing in my life. I'll try to make the next post a little more exciting - maybe some NBA finals fun or a little baseball. For now, I'm just happy to have the first treatment over with. Good times!

7 comments:

Joel said...

Sorry, buddy. You're in our prayers for sure. On the plus side, I did have some very strange conversations with mom when she was on chemo and somewhat out of it, so perhaps Leah will have some very funny posts coming up soon!

Beth said...

Isaiah 40:28-31 So, maybe leaving a scripture is cheesy, but I figured, hey, it's true, so why not? :)

Love ya!

What'd you think of the Paul Pierce "injury"? He's my favorite player, but they were sure badmouthing him on ESPN.

mom/diane said...

Way to go...1/12th through. I know you can do it.
What does Joel mean about strange conversations???? I remember none of them...you can always use that as an excuse with Leah if she reminds you of something you should have done but didn't. "I have no recollection is a good comback.

Matt said...

Thanks to each of you. That's a great scripture, Beth. Nothing cheesy about that.

Paul "The Truth" Pierce did a bit of acting there, I think! However, I'm glad he came back. I'm not rooting for Kobe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt - I was thinking about you today. One of the other Elders and I went to visit a Brother in our ward who has just gotten out of life-altering surgery. In the car on the way home I mentioned what my good friend from Kansas was going through and how you never really know what hand life will deal. Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. I have only one bit of sage wisdom to impart while you are going through the worst health experience of your life...

Don't paint your house.

:)

Hang in there, Brother!

Matt

Matt said...

Great advice, Matt. I'll leave the house painting to the pros.

Karen S said...

You and your family are in our prayers. Hang in there.